Upcoming Events

  1. GCCCA Concert Featuring “Vocal Trash”

    January 24 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
  2. Philippe Holmes in Concert

    January 25 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
  3. Reading Rocks-Stone Age Scholastic Book Fair

    January 28 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
  4. Grant Soil and Water Meeting

    January 28 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
  5. GriefShare Support Group Meeting

    January 29 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Downtown Silver Cam

January 16, 2018: Local News

//January 16, 2018: Local News

January 16, 2018: Local News

Here’s a look at some local news:

The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico has been named beneficiary of an estate gift of over $1 million from the late Dr. Robert Palmer, with 75 percent of the gift being earmarked for Luna County. This generous gift will have a positive impact for years to come for nonprofit groups and students requiring scholarships to complete their education. The remaining 25 percent of the gift is going to support the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico Wellness Grant Fund program in addition to creating a matching endowment for nonprofit building. Dr. Palmer was a 1961 graduate of Deming High School, and Air Force Veteran and graduate of UNM and George Washington University Medical School. He spent his retirement years back in Deming and passed away in 2013.

In other news:

Sadly, an inmate at the Grant County Detention Center has died due to an attempt to hang himself. Gary Placencio, Jr., was found unconscious by Grant County Detention Center staff last Tuesday at approximately 4:37 P.M. EMS was summoned while medical personnel at the scene performed CPR. Mr. Placencio was transported by helicopter to the University Medical Center in El Paso where he later died on January 11th.

The New Mexico State Police is seeking the public’s assistance in locating Raynel Archuleta, a Hispanic male, 78 years old, five feet eleven inches tall, weighing 140 pounds, with grey/brown hair, a grey/black beard and brown eyes. Raynel Archuleta was last seen wearing blue jeans, a grey shirt with a beige or grey vest, a brown cowboy hat, and slippers. He was last seen around 5:30 p.m. Monday afternoon near the family property located at 4000 Camino Serna in the Silver Acres neighborhood of Silver City. Anyone with any information regarding this New Mexico Silver Alert is asked to call the New Mexico State Police Office at (575) 382-2500 or 911.

The American Legion, located at 409 West College Avenue, in Silver City, would like to invite all area veterans and their families to a Town Hall meeting tomorrow, at 6:00 P.M. regarding the construction at Fort Bayard National Cemetery. The Pacific District National Cemetery Direction and the Santa Fe / Fort Bayard National Cemetery Director will be there to discuss the on-going construction, address any concerns, and answer your questions. For more information, call Ray Davis at 575-956-5153.

By | 2018-01-16T15:59:39+00:00 January 16th, 2018|News|0 Comments