Here’s a look at some local news brought to you by Silver City Radio.
At the time of compiling this report, the New Mexico Department of Health, announced a new total of 171,719 New Mexico COVID-19 confirmed positive cases statewide, an increase of 672 new cases. In addition, COVID-19 cases recorded locally are as follows: Grant County has increased 7 new cases for a total of 1,256 positive cases; Luna County has increased 9 new cases for a total of 2,896 positive cases; Hidalgo County has remained at 311 positive cases; and Catron County increased 1 new case for a total of 71 positive cases. There are currently 556 COVID-19 hospitalizations statewide.
Town of Silver City Manager, Alex Brown, shared some key accomplishments and shared challenges from each department during the 2020 year. Despite the related changes and hardships of the COVID-19 pandemic, town staff kept working and accomplished some of the following achievements.
- The Public Safety staff, including both Silver City Police and Fire Department successfully organized emergency pandemic services according to state mandates, kept residents informed, provided constant leadership, and enforced the town’s public mask ordinance.
- The Public Works department completed several projects, including a new ADA-compliant sidewalk and signage located along Yankie, Market, Texas, Arizona, and Pinos Altos Streets.
- The Silver City Museum was able to expand its reach to the community by successfully shifting to all virtual programming.
- The Silver City Public Library replaced computers and improved internet service.
- Community Development Department kept the town’s permitting processes moving along and received grant funding for new signage on Boston Hill.
- The Finance Department received a clean 2019 audit.
To learn more about the Town of Silver City and local government, visit townofsilvercity.org.
New Mexico is working on a Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan and is seeking community input from state residents. To take part in the survey, visit getoutsidenm.org.
This has been a look at some local news. Thank you for listening to Silver City Radio.