Here’s a look at today’s headlines:

Veterans across the country may gain access to improved mental health services if the US Senate passes legislation linked to veteran suicide.  The Senate is expected to pass the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act which would provide funding to evaluate the mental health and suicide prevention programs of the VA and the Defense Department, improve training, and enhance collaboration.  Currently, there are approximately 8,000 veteran suicides per year, which averages to 22 per day.  The bill is named after a Marine veteran who struggled with PTSD and committed suicide in 2011 at age 28.

Absentee Voting for the March 3rd Regular Municipal Election for the Town of Silver City is now underway.  Voters wishing to vote by Absentee Ballot may request an application by calling the Town Clerk’s Office at 534-6346.  Early Voting will begin on February 11th and end on the 27th.  Voters wishing to vote prior to Election Day may go to the Town Clerk’s Office at City Hall during regular business hours.  To be eligible to vote in the Town of Silver City’s March 3rd Municipal Election, you must be registered by Tuesday, February 3rd.  Voter Registration forms are available at the Grant County Clerk’s Office.

Senator John Arthur Smith of Deming introduced a bill last week that would raise the age threshold for annual license renewals for seniors from 75 to 79.  Smith introduced the bill due to increased longevity and activity in older citizens.  He also stated, however, that if testimony shows the incidence of accidents goes up when drivers reach 75 years of age, he will back away from the bill.  Some lawmakers agree that the higher age limit would be smarter and fairer, while others object that at least some people are in declining health by 75 and aren’t as good at driving as they once were.

Steven Morales, 36 of Silver City, was taken into custody in Albuquerque on Thursday in connection to the alleged homicide of Esteban Ortega, whose body was found on January 14th.  Morales was arrested without incident and booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque.