Here’s a look at some local news brought to you by Silver City Radio.
The U.S Forest Service-Gila National Forest are reminding visitors to properly prepare for camping and hiking trips. Night temperatures are very cold and it is a must to bring lots of warm layers, socks, and sleeping bags. Other important tips include:
- Check on fire conditions before you leave home
- Never leave a campfire unattended and make sure the fire is dead out before leaving the campsite
- Be sure to bring lots of water, snacks, a map, and always let someone know your camping plans are before you go
- Always practice the 7 Leave No Trace principals which are available at www.nps.gov
Winners of the Silver City Mainstreet 2020 Holiday Merchant Window Contest were announced on Christmas Eve. The winners were chosen by community votes. The winning business are as follows:
- Third Place was awarded to The Ice Cream Emporium
- Second place was awarded to Our Paws Cause Thrift Store
- First Place was awarded to Independent Ink Tattoo
Residents are encouraged to visit downtown and view all the holiday window art.
The New Mexico Department of Health has announced the launch of a website that enables New Mexicans to receive notice when they qualify for the COVID-19 vaccine. New Mexico residents are able to fill out a short online questionnaire to be contacted when the vaccination is available in their area and to schedule a time when they receive an event code. That website is available at cv vaccine dot nm health dot org.
This has been a look at some local news. Happy 2021 from Silver City Radio.www.nps.gov